- Buildings consume 40 percent of the nearly 100 quadrillion Btus (quads) of energy the United States consumes annually.
- 71% of the electricity and 53% of the natural gas used in the United States go into buildings.
Climate Change is Here and is Causing Major Problems
- India has a middle class population of 350 million, larger then the entire population of the U.S. Many of these people can now afford to buy the Nano (a $2500 USD car from Tata) for the very first time.
- Energy demands from China are increasing at astounding rates. China's energy consumption has more then doubled in less than a decade. China has emerged from being a net oil exporter in the 1990's to become the world's third largest net importer of oil in 2006.
- It is estimated that the earth can only sustain 1 billion people who consume energy and pollute at the levels that we do in the United States. The worlds population is currently 6.76 billion people and is expected to rise significantly over the next decades.
- The air outside in many cases is cleaner than the air in our homes. The United States has an asthma rate that is almost 10 times that of China.
- Scientists agree that the environment is in peril if we don't reduce our CO2 emissions.
- You can make a difference!